Big yellow machines are currently clearing the rubble of three eighty-year-old structures in the downtown block bounded by Metcalfe, O'Connor, Slater and Laurier. One of these, at 227 Laurier Avenue West, most recently a computer repair shop, was built in 1931 as the Rideau Winter Club, joint headquarters of the Rideau Curling Club and the Rideau Badminton Club. Governor-General and Lady Bessborough presided at the opening. The building had four sheets of ice, badminton courts, and two separate club lounges, and served the two clubs till 1949. Only the front section of the structure survived into the 21st century, the back area replaced by a parking lot. But a memory of its original function remained in two bas-reliefs, one showing a badminton racket and birdies, the other curling broom and rocks. Douglas
For this 2009 season, the first in their new ballpark, Hiroshima Toyo Carp baseball club have adopted the ten-stroke kanji retsu, signifying intensity. Here is its entry in an online kanji dictionary, along with a sound file. The calligraphy is by team manager Marty Brown.